Wednesday 14 April 2010

Thy will be done .........


At the age of 6 I was given an LP record of The Singing Nun by a friend of my mothers named Ruth. Although I didn't realise at the time I guess Ruth was a radical left wing lesbian, she had short dark hair, was vegetarian in 1971 and collected ethnic musical instruments from around the world. All the signs were there but I didn't click till just now! My mother, who's own life would have been vastly improved by a Saphic shift used to take me to visit this woman who lived at the top of Albrighton Road. At Ruths house dinner was made from ingredients and recipes at our house dinner came from adding water to sachets and opening cans. I played my album over and over for a short time trilling along in a language I didn't understand. Of course when I raised the issue of me becoming a nun of the singing variety over a Fry Bentos dinner with my grandparents back home I received little by way of encouragment.

No comments: